Tuesday, September 1, 2009

defining moments...

It gets kind of crazy at our house at times. Between Bryan's long hours, my weird schedule and a very active THREE(!) year old, we stay pretty busy. Yesterday evening was no exception, except it just seemed a little more out of control. Gavin and I had been playing, and I didn't pay attention to what time it was. I started supper late and wasn't ready for work when Bryan got home. Most nights, we try and eat together as a family, but that means I need to have it ready before Bryan gets home, so we can eat and then I go right to work. Gavin really wanted pancakes; so I started some sausage and got everything out for the pancakes - oops - he was mixing everything when I realized that I didn't have any milk (I'm trying not to grocery shop before the trip.) I scrounged around and found some buttermilk, so I thought I would try that. If it didn't work, there were always eggs. Bryan got home, said he would finish supper and I could go get ready. I've had a long stretch of nights and Gavin was feeling the strain of me being gone; as soon as I put on my scrub top - he started crying - "no mommy... no go to work, please mommy, stay home with us!!! PRETTY PLEASE mommy!" The cry turned to a sob, which turned to a scream - all while he was hanging on my leg. Bryan came to check what all the commotion was about. I checked on supper - my buttermilk pancakes - not looking so good - so Bryan offered to make me eggs. I quick finished getting ready - made my way to the kitchen- to find the sausage burnt, the pancakes black and my egg (on my plate) only half cooked - Bryan was running around the kitchen and Gavin was running up and down the hallway screaming "no mommy, no mommy!" Bryan and I looked at each other.... and both burst out laughing - I had tears in my eyes simply from laughing too much! This is what we choose, right - this very crazy, very wonderful life. That's what we do in our family, when it gets tough, when I wonder if I'm making any decisions right, when I start to think that these sacrifices I make FOR my family, are really doing more harm than good, when I'm not sure if I just need to cry.... we laugh. I can look at my wonderful Bryan and just know that we really will be fine - burnt/half-cooked supper and all...

No comments: